Sunday, January 9, 2011

13th Pitch: 5K! I won!


Did I finish first? Not by a long shot.  I came in 3rd from last, but I finished and to me that means I won! I made it all the way.  Sore? A bit.  Psyched? Definitely! and ready to do my next one!  I would encourage anyone to do this.  I remember when I started doing events in 2005.  If someone hadn't encouraged me and walked a couple of events with me, I wouldn't have done this.  Do you think you weigh to much? Trust me, I am huge.  Are you afraid to be looked at funny?  What I have experienced is that before the race, I get quizzical looks (as if to say: is she going to need an ambulance before this is over?).  During the race, I often see looks of surprise, but also I get comments of concern and encouragement.  People will say something such as:  "It's just a short way"  "You are going to make it!" and when I get to the end, there are many people that cheer me as I come up.  It's as if for the first time I feel recognized for my accomplishment not disdained for my size.

So my advice, DO IT! 

This event honored fallen law officials of 2010 in support of their families left behind.
Lt. Eric Lewis Shuhandler, Gilbert, AZ Police Department.  1/28/2010
Officer Travis P Murphy, Phoenix, AZ Police Department 5/26/2010
Detective Carlos Ledesma, Chandler, AZ Police Department 7/27/2010
Deputy Sheriff Brian Harris, Kane County, AZ Sherrif's office 8/26/2010
Agent Michael Gallagher US Border Patrol 9/2/2010
Agent Brian A. Terry US Border Patrol 12/15/2010
Officer James "Dutch" Lister Arizona State University Police Department 12/16/2010

(These names were on our event shirts and I feel comfortable posting them here)

May their families have peace and comfort and solace knowing that others care.  (This is the 7th annual event and it has drawn the largest crowd since its inception.)

Cindi

No comments:

Post a Comment